Saturday, September 27, 2008

Tryon Palace

Yesterday, after a long stressful week, we decided to take a family day, and get out of Greenville for a little bit. We loaded up and headed to Newbern to tour the Tryon Palace. We had a really great time and I highly recomend it!

The Palace was originally built between 1767 and 1770, but had to be reconstructed after it burned to the ground. They have tried to make the new palace as accurate as possible. The grounds are filled with people in character that tell you about the lifes of the Govenor and his family, as well as Palace employees. It was very interesting.




After seeing all we could of Tryon Palace, we decided to walk around downtown New Bern for a while before heading back. The weather was perfect and we really couldn't have asked for a better night to explore.


We just HAD to stop for a soda at the Birthplace of Pepsi!! Ella even had a little sip!

We also grabbed dinner at the Cow Cafe. After being in the hiking backpack all day, Ella was happy to see that there was a children's play area to run around in!




3 comments:

  1. I love the Cow Cafe! Did you hear the story of how I convinced Fred to do our vacation in New Bern? It was a couple of years ago.
    I wanted to have a chance at seeing Nicholas Sparks, as he lives there... I THINK I saw him at a grocery store, but couldn't swear to it... lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahhh, my old stomp'n grounds! Down Town was my playground growing up. The Pepsi place was a jewelry store most of my life. My mom worked on the corner of the two rivers there and we would go with her and as soon as she would let us we hit the town. we knew all the alley shortcuts and even some of the people in the old homes who ALWAYS had snacks or cookies ready. I looks nicer now... but not as fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tryon Palace is beautiful- I did some bridal portraits for a girl there! I saw Nicholas Sparks in Wilmington one time when I lived there...

    ReplyDelete