Thought I'd post some pics and an update on our garden. We've been having alot of fun with it! Ella especially loves to come out with me and poke around out there. Anytime we head out, she runs to put on her hot pink Dora gardening gloves. They're huge on her, but she doesn't care. I can't wait until we can actually eat some stuff from it!
Here are the cucumbers that are taking over :)
Last night, we spotted our very first little cucumber growing!
And it's hard to tell in these pics, but these are the beginnings of our very first squash.
This pic is a little better of the squash..Yum!
Tomatoes....
Some of the carrots..I am actually going to finally thin them out later today. They just got to the point where you can tell what's what! We got a new sprinkler last week and some of them got washed away by it!! Oops! Now we have it up on a block so it's working much better! LOL We still managed to keep a few carrots though. I will probably just use the space that got washed up to plant pumpkins later this Summer :)
Okra :)
Sweet Corn :)
Bell Peppers!
Potatoes :)
And last....my poor Green Beans! Not exaggerating, I probably pulled 5 or 6 bugs of this plant last night! I had been going out regularly to pick bugs and the plants had healed up nicely...then I slacked off for 2 or 3 days and THIS happened.. they devoured him! So we are back on full time bug patrol and I am also going to pick up some Neem Oil per Megan's suggestion (Thanks!!!). I've had several people recommend different bug sprays and powders to me, but I just can't bring myself to put it on there! I know that's silly! I don't buy only organic produce anyways, but I would if I could afford it. I would just prefer to use as little as possible because I know I'm going to take it right inside to feed my babies....Anyways, I am going to try the Neem Oil later this week if I don't have them back under control because it's all natural....so...here's the pic of my sad little bean bush :(
This one is the worst one out there..some of the others are holding up alright
Besides the beans, we are enjoying everything else! It's been so fun to watch everything grow! It's been work, but not nearly as bad as I expected. Now we're getting close to the really exciting part where we can reap the fruit of our hard work!






Just an FYI, the oil is called "NEEM OIL" sorry if I misspelled it!
ReplyDeleteThat would be sorta funny, going to find Neep oil and no one knowing what in the world your talking about ;-)
Meagan
LOL!!! No, you probably spelled it right and I probably just remembered it wrong! Randy likes to call those "Laci-isms" Thanks for giving me the correct name!! I'm going to fix it LOL!
ReplyDeleteMake sure to keep an eye on your corn. Once the tassels start forming you will find that the bugs like them really well! I would like to do some reasearch on companion planting - that's where you plant something that deters a certain pest beside something else that that pest likes. Marigolds are also good for the garden.
ReplyDeleteI spent about 2 hours last night shelling black-eyed peas. Not that I really had 2 hours. Didn't get to bed until midnight.
Love you, see you all soon!