I've been hearing some of the talk going back and forth between people about money being sent to Haiti. Some people say that as Americans, we are being irresponsible to send our money there when we have so much in our own country to fix. They do bring up good points about the many many homeless families and starving elderly who have no help, no food. They think that we should be raising money to help them and that it's shameful that we are giving so much to help the people of Haiti. Wow.
It does break my heart that there are an insane amount of people who got to bed hungry every night here in the US, but I'd like to think even they are better off than the people of Haiti. I don't know. Maybe not. And I do agree that we should be doing more to help the people here in our own country that are in need.
But..
I also know the horrible conditions I've heard of and seen images of on television (so take that for what it's worth) are terrible to see. Seeing an insanely large number of human beings in completely desolate conditions makes me want to help. or at least do something. I can't imagine having the attitude that we should just sit by and watch.
I think everything we can do to help is important. No matter how small. I want to help so much. I think if I didn't have two small children who need me, I would hop on a plane and go help in person.
Maybe it's time for all of us Americans who have been blessed beyond the people of Haiti's imagination to stop being so selfish.
This video really touched me on Sunday. I'm glad to be committed to helping.
No comments:
Post a Comment