Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Sick and Tired.

Last week is a week I refer to as our week in the Twilight Zone.

For the last several months, we have been battling asthma in both of the babies. (Note:  Bigs = Ella and Noah, Babies = Owen and Jack.  I know they aren't really babies anymore, but they are forever the babies at our house)  So the babies both caught RSV over the Winter and have had a lot of trouble recovering since then. They were both using a preventative steroid in the nebulizer each night and also using Albuterol as needed during the day.  Well fast forward several months and they are both just constantly snotty, coughing, and wheezing.  They are like the kids in the nursery that always have snot running down their noses.  I know all of my mommy friends know how much we all love "those" kids.  So lovely.  Your welcome.

But we have been pressing on and following Doctor's orders and finally went back for a recheck and changed their inhalers all around.  So now they have actual inhalers with a spacer that I can take on the go which is something we were really hoping for.  Sometimes we get so busy that it felt like we couldn't keep up with the timing of all the treatments they wanted them on.  So last Friday I picked up a huge grocery sack full of medicine for the babies.  New inhalers, oral steroids, antibiotics (because they both had ear infections), and more Zyrtec for seasonal allergies.  We get home and get started on all the new stuff for the weekend and that night, Jack throws up.  He was running around fine so we just think it's a fluke.  Well, Saturday we notice that Owen doesn't seem to be acting himself, but he's still eating and going about like normal so again, we are thinking that it is just all the new medicine that's making him feel off.  Well, we were very wrong lol.  Sunday afternoon we were at church for both services since I was singing on the worship team and after the second worship set I saw a text on my phone saying that Jack had two really icky diapers that morning already as if his tummy was upset.  I figured it was just from the amoxicillin since it always gives our kids really upset tummies.  He was really tired and cranky so I told Randy I was going to go ahead and take both of the littles home and he could just bring the big kids later when he was done. He brings Owen out to me and he is acting really crabby and cranky, too.  At this point we are still thinking that they just feel crummy because of having ear infections and all the new medicine on their tummies.  Well, here's when things start turning South...Owen goes down for a nap and ends up waking up and throwing up all of his lunch.  He continues to puke for the rest of the day and all night long.  Just miserable.  So Jack is pooping water, Owen can't even keep a sip of water down, and that evening around 9:30 at night we hear a really loud scream come from our bathroom where Ella had just taken a shower.  Apparently the steam from the hot water had moistened the tile pretty badly and when she went to leave the bathroom she slipped and busted her chin right on the floor. So I leave Randy with the puker and I take Ella up to the ER for stitches.  She was absolutely TERRIFIED  but she was so brave.  I couldn't believe how well she managed to calm herself down even though she wanted to freak and run right out of there.  She laid right there and got stitched up without any trouble at all.  I was so proud! I'm going to share her before and after pictures so if you are squeamish then scroll down now really fast.....








Finally got her all squared away and climb into bed only to have Owen wake up later around one in the morning because he had thrown up.  When Randy went to clean him up, he noticed that Owen was covered in hives!  We still aren't 100% sure what that was about, but for now they are treating it as if he has a penicillin allergy.  They are kind of hard to see in the pictures, but I'll share anyways..






Thankfully the hives went down with an antihistamine and we got him all settled back into bed.  The next morning he was still unable to keep anything down and was becoming more and more lethargic so Randy took him up to the Urgent Care down the street to see if we could get some Zofran for him.  They felt like he needed to go in for fluids so we decided to take him out to the children's hospital in Tulsa.  After being there three days with continuous fluids, he finally started perking up and getting back to himself.  We have been following up weekly with our pediatrician just to be sure he is getting back to normal okay.  Still working to get the wheezing under control so hopefully this week we will see big improvements with that.  If not, we are going to see a pulmonologist to get his asthma meds straightened out.  But hopefully what we have set up now will do the trick.  








Not going to lie.  It's been a very trying few weeks.  Owen's tummy is super swollen and distended and he is super cranky and almost impossible to reason with.  It makes me scared that his kidney isn't draining correctly because it's exactly how it usually shows itself.  But the only way to know for sure is to see the Urologist and we aren't scheduled to go back until September.  At our last check up, the Doctor said he thought it may be a good idea to get scanned just to be sure.  So I am going to set that appointment up tomorrow.  Until then, I just need prayers for loads and loads of patience.  There are a million things that I don't do well in life, but usually being a good mom is something that comes very easily to me.  It's like it's exactly what God designed me for.  But these last couple of weeks have really been hard.  It's been an emotional roller coaster having the kids all sick and then having to deal with a preschooler who screams and freaks out about everything.  I know he is just feeling yucky and trying to get back to normal so I am trying to give him lots of love and grace.  But it's been exhausting and overwhelming.  I'm so thankful that my hubby has tried to pick up the slack around the house and help give me breaks.  We are just praying that we can get some answers for Owen and get him feeling back to himself.  



No comments:

Post a Comment