We did a lot of updating on Owen through social media, but I still wanted to post his surgery pictures here because we have documented all of his Urology stuff through our blog. He was such a brave boy. I can't believe how great he did. We were really nervous going into this surgery because there were so many unknowns. We all knew that it was getting down to the nitty gritty. Either they could fix his kidney or they couldn't and would remove it. The Doctor we have now in Oklahoma is so wonderful. He reassured us that he had no plans to try and show off with Owen. We all agreed that Owen had been through enough and that if he wasn't really confident in a surgical fix then it was time to remove the kidney and move on. He assured us he wouldn't try and be a hero. Either he could fix it or he couldn't. Our first couple of updates from the OR were very uneventful. They kept telling us that he was "still working" or "still looking around." I began to prepare my heart for the call that the kidney was coming out. When we got our last phone update the nurse told us that he had completed a repair and was getting Owen closed up. We were thrilled! I have to be honest though...even though my initial response was to be totally excited, it was immediately followed with a little knot in my stomach. I think I was really prepared for the fact that the kidney wouldn't be saved and when it was it just opened up a whole list of questions and fears. It means more testing. More waiting. And if it doesn't work...then more surgery. I know that's a really negative way to take it, but it was more of just my "mommy brain" thinking way ahead. I just want to put this all behind Owen and move on. Obviously, even though I have fears, my main feelings on his surgery are thankfulness and joy. We want him to have two working kidneys and once our surgeon came out and explained what all he did, we have a lot of confidence that he has fixed the problem. I will spare you my botched medical explanation since it's hard to describe all he had to do. In a nutshell, he moved a blood vessel that was in the way and also reconstructed the ureter and moved it to a lower spot on the kidney where it could *hopefully* drain easier. Now we will let Owen's body heal and have the stent removed next month. Then six weeks after that we can begin running tests again to see that the kidney is draining and not filling back up again. We have seen God working in Owen's life since before he was born. So many Doctors have told us that his kidney should be in much worse condition then it is. We know this is because of the hundreds of prayers that have been spoken for Owen since he was just a teeny 19 week unborn baby. All of the love and support we have received is just amazing. When I have moments of fear for Owen all I have to do is just look back on how faithful God has been to us and surrender Owen's future to the one who loves him so much more then I do. I am constantly amazed at the amazing work God does through Owen.
All marked and ready to go.
It's hard to tell from this picture, but he has four small incisions. Two at the top of his belly, one at his belly button, and one lower (right under the top edge of the blanket in this pic) in his diaper. The red pokes on the left side of his tummy in this pic were from a nerve block the anesthesiologist placed to help with his post op pain.
Here's a random picture of Jack. He is such a good baby. The nurses kept forgetting he was in the room because he was just hanging out so quiet. Sweet boy.
The first night Owen had a terrible blow out. He didn't have a diaper on yet and we weren't anticipating poop quite so soon. Especially not this much. It was bad. We had the sweetest nurse who came in and helped me get him all clean. The only nice thing about the blowout was that I finally got to hold him while they changed his bedding. I always want to hold him so badly, but it's scary when you feel like your touch is hurting instead of helping. Thankfully, we were able to get him comfy for a minute and he even attempted the sweetest little smile and Randy caught it in a picture!
It was amazing what a night of sleep did. In the morning we tried to get him out of bed to help with the insane amount of gas in his tummy. He was a little unsure about standing up, but once he did he was running in no time. He wanted to stay in the playroom for the rest of the day!
He also LOVED the wagon. We have the same one here, but apparently theirs was better. Maybe because they were letting him ride in it inside.
We finally got the okay to leave from the Doctor after he peed on his own. Well, that turned in to a long wait. Lots of apple juice and two warm baths later...we finally could see a little ripple in the water. The bath had finally worked! We were all packed up and ready so as soon as we had confirmation on the pee we could go home. We were so happy not to stay the second night. It's so hard to get good rest at the hospital.
We are now a little over two and a half weeks post op and he is doing great! His bottom two incisions are healing so nicely and the top two aren't far behind. We are so happy with how well everything has gone. Thanks for all of the love and support. SO blessed and thankful for our friends.

No comments:
Post a Comment