This one's a really random post! But I have been wanting to tell you all about it, and today seemed like the perfect chance....since it was laundry day and I had my camera out...
For a few months now, I have been using cloth diapers for Noah. The cloth diapering "world" is sooooo far advanced from the kind of cloth diapers most moms and grandmas think of. There are a ton of different options, fits, colors, and styles to choose from. It's a little overwhelming at first. I first considered cloth diapers back when Ella was pretty young. I had met some other mom's who where were using them and they had just about convinced me. Still, I just wasn't sure I was up for the job! No matter how "convenient" the diapers have become....I still know how the whole process goes...and I wasn't sure I wanted to be the person left with a full diaper...that I couldn't just throw away!! So I gave up the idea and continued with disposables. Fast forward to Noah's infancy. I was still intrigued, but ultimately just grossed out with the idea, until I started babysitting for a friend who was cloth diapering. It brought the idea back into my head and I started reading articles and blogs about cloth diapering. Checking prices and styles. Long story short, I decided to give it a try and see how it went!
There were a lot of choices on which diapers to buy. When doing my research, my favorite brands were Bum Genius and Fuzzi Bunz. I also found lots and lots that I completely LOVE on Etsy.com. It can be a pretty large financial investment to get started, since each diaper can cost anywhere from $15-$25 each! Of course there are cheaper versions and more expensive versions as well. Most reputable brands seem to be about $20 a piece going down the more you buy together. Since I wasn't convinced I was going to stick with it, I was really hesitant to spend several hundred dollars just to get started. So I decided to go with a brand I found on Ebay. They were made in Japan and very cheap. I think shipping and all I paid $60-$70 and got 10 diapers. It really is better long term to go ahead and buy the better diapers since washing them so much really wears them out. I'm pretty impressed with mine though! They are a great deal for getting started! Also, I decided to go with a "One Size" diaper so that I can use them again if I have another baby.
See? The one on the left is adjusted to the smallest size and the one on the right is bigger for Noah.
The Ins and Outs:
Just like there are a million different styles...there are a million different techniques, but here is how I make it work for me...
*First, things first, I am brave. Yes. But not all the way brave yet. I am only using cloth diapers when I'm at home. Poop on the go is just way too scary for me at this point! lol....baby steps! So for now, anytime we are going somewhere, I pop Noah into a disposable and we're off.
*Since I only have 10 diapers, I wash pretty often. I was tempted to buy more, but keeping the number of diapers low..keeps me washing often and the smell down. Plus Noah is older now so he doesn't go through a ton of diapers in one day like a newborn would.
*Each day I fill my washer up with water (I turn the knob forward to the last rinse) (no soap at this point) and leave the lid open. Then all day when I change Noah, I just pull out the diaper insert and throw both pieces in the washer. (Did I mention they have an insert?? Sorry...the style of diapers I use has a pocket that you put a thick terry cloth insert into.) If he has a poopy...that's a different story. I'll get there in a sec!
*When I'm getting close to running out of diapers, I close the lid and let the washer do it's thing. Remember it's only set for a rinse. Then I refill the tub with hot water and add detergent. I just use our regular detergent, but they sell some specifically for cloth diapers..I just use a little less then the normal amount. Then I let the washer run through a full cycle. After it's done, I will run just one more extra rinse to be sure there is no soap residue. Then I pop them in the dryer and voila!
*There is a little bit of work once the diapers are dry since you have to stuff each insert into the diaper casing. But it just takes a few minutes. Then I just stick them in a basket in Noah's room ready to go :))
*Okay. Warning! Graphic potty talk ahead!! Poopy Diapers. The one and only part I hate!! But I will share with you what I have been doing...
When Noah has a poopy I change him like normal, sitting the diaper aside. Then I take it into the bathroom and shake off the actual poop. Toss it in the washer and I'm good. Unless....it's a messy one. They make little sprayers that can hook onto your toilet and make this way easier....but I don't have that.. so! First, before I shake anything off I go get a rubbermaid bucket I use to soak stained clothes. I fill it with hot water and add a tiny bit of detergent to it. (I just leave this bucket of soapy water sitting in the bathtub) Then I take the diaper, pull the insert out and toss it in the bucket. Then take the yucky diaper and dip it a couple of times in the toilet. If it's really, really, bad I may flush the toilet and repeat. My hands never get yucky. They are holding onto the clean part...but I'm not going to lie...it's really gross! Then I put that diaper into the bucket along with any other stinky ones until wash time when I just dump the whole bucket into the load. I haven't had any trouble with this smelling up the bathroom, but I could see where it could if you didn't rinse it well. Or if it sat a long time. I usually only have one or two stinky ones per wash since Noah is bigger and usually only poops once and day and also sometimes I get lucky and he poops in a disposable. :) So there's the icky truth about that part.
**Disclaimer**
All of that above is on the "ideal" days....sometimes....I am using my washer and dryer to do laundry or have a load sitting in one of them that is waiting to go in the dryer...you know normal behind-on-never ending-laundry stuff. On those days I have stinky ones waiting in the bathtub and wet ones sitting on top of the washer. I'm considering getting a bucket for wet storage of the wet ones..but it's really been my goal to just have the washer ready for them. Having them sitting around gets stinky quickly!
A few CONS or lessons learned....
*Hardest one for me is that I like to use fabric softener and have a Bounce bar in my dryer. You can't use these with cloth diapers so I have to be a little strategic...I slide the Bounce bar out for diapers and usually try to dry a load in between to help rub off any residue on the dryer walls. The fabric softener creates a water barrier on the diaper that makes them not absorb well..I learned this lesson very well when I forgot once and dried a whole load with it in there. I had to go through a stripping process to wash it out of the diapers and I'm exhausted just thinking about it ;) So NO FABRIC SOFTENER!
*You have to do laundry a lot?? CON, right???
PROS and reason why I LOVE them!
*Obviously, once you've paid for your set...they quickly pay for themselves and then you have FREE diapers! Even using disposables as well, I am still saving lots of money. And that makes me happy :)
*They really cut down on diaper rash (which reminds me...you can't use rash cream for the same reason as the bounce.). I was worried about not being able to use rash cream since Noah's skin is very sensitive and he gets diaper rashes a lot. Well, he has not had one since! For reals! ;)
*You can join in with Randy and call me a "Hippie" but I don't care! They really cut down on waste! Did you know that it takes disposable diapers 500-550 years to decompose?!?!? And you can add on more if it's a stinky one wrapped in a baggie! I'm all about convenience products, but that just really surprised me!!
*They are ADORABLE! How can you resist this butt?? hahahaha
So....anyone convinced to try them, too??? LOL Or already using them?? Have any tips?? I'm still picking the brains of cloth diapering moms I meet to find out tips that may help. And I just have to say...I'm about as girly and squeamish as they come...and Randy tells me all the time I act like a snob about my random list of things I think are okay for the kids to wear or not wear...If I can do this, anyone can! I told Noah to smile and show you all how much he loves his diapers....and this is what I got:
No comments:
Post a Comment