Friday, December 28, 2012

Owen 26 Week Update

Hey everyone!

Just wanted to give a quick update from Owen's appointments the last two days and share a couple of new pictures with you!

Yesterday, Owen had an echocardiogram done to check over his heart.  This was a precaution since Noah was born with a VSD that closed between one and two years old.  Well it's a good thing that we went ahead and had the echo since it looks like little Owen has almost the same exact thing!  His is very small and they wont know the exact size until he is born, but it looks like it's basically the same situation.  Our Doctor had told us ahead of time that this might be the case since you are at a higher risk to having it reoccur once you've had one baby with it.  Almost all babies are born with one hole in their heart that closes with time, it's just in this case their is second one.  This isn't a huge concern for Owen since it's small and is having no effects on the heart's function so far.  It's not nearly as scary for us having already been through it once.  I was a little bummed, just because it felt like one more thing to add to the list, but I'm not worried since I know that it is just one of those things that happens.  Hopefully little Owen's will close right up like Noah's did!  Here is an old post about Noah's that explains it a little better if you are curious what exactly it is :)

As for this morning's appointment with the Perinatologist...well, not too much to report (which is good news I guess?!) Both of Owen's kidneys are still very enlarged and the right one is still getting bigger as we expected.  It has grown again significantly, but my fluid levels are still nice and high so his left one is keeping everything in okay shape for now.  They noticed a little bit of inflammation in one of his ureters so even though it sounds bad, it's good for us in a way, because they haven't been able to see where the obstruction is.  We've been just assuming that he has a UPJ which is basically an obstruction where the ureter meets the renal pelvis (the part of his kidney that is really enlarged right now).  So we still don't know...but seeing that it's inflamed could help them get some answers.  For now, the plan is still to have another ultrasound again at 30 weeks and then take all four of the scans I've had so far to the urologist so he can decide what's next for Owen after birth.  Good news is that everything looks stable for him in the womb right now!  As long as this continues, I shouldn't have any problems carrying him to term and having a natural birth like I would like. Hoping this stays the case!

Other than all of that, Owen is crazy active and is literally bouncing off the "walls".  He made both of these scans hard for the technician's by never holding still.  He's also really a big boy.  I am 26 weeks and 1 day pregnant today and Owen is measuring at 27 weeks 6 days.  Yep.  You read that right.  He is almost two weeks ahead.  He weighed 2 lbs. 9 oz and is in the 78% for weight.  Eek.  The Dr.  questioned me a bunch about gestational diabetes, but I don't have my glucose test until the 11th.  I really hope everything is fine with that!! I'm picky enough as it is without having to change my diet.  Yuck.  I think he's just a big boy.  We'll see though!


Here are his pictures from today!  Oh, the sweetness.  Can't wait to kiss those chubby
cheeks!


No comments:

Post a Comment